log on to thegoan.net @thegoaneveryday Facebook.com/thegoaneveryday TUESDAY DECEMBER 29, 2020 PTI NEW DELHI The country’s mining sector will see “hectic activities” in the new year with the central government’s approvals for pending mining reforms expected in January itself and efforts continuing to bolster overall mineral output. While many sectors had to bear the brunt of the pandemic-induced lockdown, Mines Secretary Anil Kumar Jain said India has “registered in iron ore some of the best export numbers in the last seven-eight months “. “The year 2021 will see hectic activity on the mining side because of the reforms which have been in waiting for some time,” Jain said. IN SHORT >> Govt invites farmers for talks on Dec 30 NEW DELHI: The government on Monday invited 40 protesting farmer unions for the next round of talks on December 30 on all relevant issues to find a “logical solution” to the current impasse over the three new farm laws. The government’s invite followed a proposal made by unions last week to hold the talks on Dec 29. 1,500 telecom towers damaged in Punjab CHANDIGARH: More than 1,500 of Reliance Jio’s 9,000 telecom towers in Punjab have been put out of action, allegedly by farmers protesting against the farm laws, disrupting service in parts of the state. Ram temple likely to cost `1,100 cr NEW DELHI: The construction of the Ram Temple complex in Ayodhya, including the main structure, is estimated to cost around Rs 1,100 crore and is expected to be completed in three-and-ahalf years, said the treasurer of the trust overseeing the project on Monday. Assam set to ban all State-run madrassas GUWAHATI: The Assam government tabled a bill to abolish all state-run madrassas and convert those into general schools with effect from April 1, 2021. Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma tabled The Assam Repealing Bill, 2020, on the first day of the threeday winter session of the assembly. WEATHER >> Max: 33.4 C Min: 20.4 C Humidity: 84% TIDES Low: 04.30 High: 09.24 16.19 23.28 8 pages PRICE ` 6 VOLUME VI, NO. 189 Instagram.com/thegoaneveryday RNI: GOAENG/2015/65729 3 8 7 exams Karnataka Cabinet approves CM backsmode in offline anti-cow slaughter ordinance St Thomas Church: 425 glorious years Flurry of activities in mining sector next year: Jain The Goan (Playstore) GOA 6 NEWS Storm over Sal dredging refuses to die down, fishermen & p’yats say no SPORTS Already produced 40-50mn dosages of Covishield vaccine: SII Kohli named ICC Male Cricketer of the Decade THE GOAN I NETWORK SLAUGHTER HOUSES TO CONTINUE OPS WITH BUFFALO MEAT AGENCIES BENGALURU In a big development on Monday, the BS Yediyurappa-led Karnataka Cabinet cleared the Karnataka Prevention of Slaughter and Preservation of Cattle Ordinance, 2020. This development comes after a bill in this regard could not be passed in the Karnataka Legislative Council. As per state Animal Husbandry Minister Prabhu Chauhan, the ordinance will be sent to Governor Vajubhai Vala for his assent. Once it comes into effect, there will be a blanket prohibition of slaughter of cows in the state. However, slaughter houses will continue to function and beef consumption will not be prohibited with respect to buffalo meat. “The anti-cow slaughter ACCORDING TO THE BILL... It proposes a maximum of 7 years’ imprisonment and fine of Rs five lakh for offenders Seeks total ban on slaughter of cows in the State Provides for stringent punishment to those who indulge in smuggling, illegal transportation, atrocities on cows and slaughtering them Govt also considering building ‘gaushalas’ to ensure that aged cows that are not used for milching do not become a burden on the farmer Ordinance to be sent to Governor Vajubhai Vala for assent law is not new. We have had it for decades. Previously, there was a ban on slaughter of cows until the age of 13. We have extended it with an intention that older cows should Once it comes into effect, there will be a blanket prohibition of slaughter of cows FLASHBACK: The government had to opt for the ordinance route as the Bill passed by the legislative assembly earlier this month in the winter session amid din and stiff opposition from the Congress has not yet been approved by the legislative council. not be left out. Since the prohibition does not extend to buffaloes, there is no ban on beef consumption,” Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister J C Mad- Covid strain: Centre urges caution, extends guidelines huswamy said. Speaking to reporters after the cabinet meeting here, he said the ordinance is likely to be sent to the Governor within a day for his assent. The government is also considering building ‘gaushalas’ (cow shelters) to ensure that aged cows that are not used for milching do not become a burden on the farmer, he said. The Karnataka Prevention of Slaughter and Preservation of Cattle Bill-2020 bill proposes a maximum of seven years’ imprisonment and fine of Rs five lakh for the offenders. It seeks a total ban on slaughter of cows in the state and provides for stringent punishment to those who indulge in smuggling, illegal transportation, atrocities on cows and slaughtering them. The government had to opt for the ordinance route as the Bill passed by the legislative assembly earlier this month in the winter session amid din and stiff opposition from the Congress has not yet been >Continued on P5 PANAJI Chief Minister Pramod Sawant has again publicly backed holding of examinations for schools and higher secondary schools besides colleges in the offline physical mode in the current academic year. Sawant, who himself holds the education portfolio, admitted at a function to felicitate meritorious students at Arambol on Monday that anxiety was growing in the student community over when and how their examination will be conducted this year. “Many students are wondering when higher secondary schools or colleges will resume classes. We are stressing on offline exams this year. Class XI, XII as well as college exams will be held offline,” Sawant said the function. Earlier last week, Sawant’s government had approved the proposal of the Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (GBSHSE), of conducting the SSC and HSSC examinations in April and May. We are stressing on offline exams this year. Class XI, XII as well as college exams will be held offline — Pramod Sawant, Chief Minister While HSSCE theory papers will be held from April 26 to May 15, the SSCE theory papers will be held from May 13 to 31. Currently all academic work in schools and colleges is being conducted to the extent possible in the online mode. Schools are permitted to hold offline classes only for Class X and Class XII students, and that too only if essential from November this year. FIRST DRIVERLESS TRAIN CHUGS IN! TO REMAIN IN FORCE TILL JANUARY 31 PTI NEW DELHI The Centre on Monday said there has been a continuous decline in the number of active Covid-19 cases in the country but there is a need to maintain surveillance, containment and caution, keeping in view the surge in the number of cases globally and the emergence of a new variant of the virus in the United Kingdom (UK). In a statement, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it has extended the guidelines for surveillance with regard to Covid-19 and these will remain in force till January 31. ‘While there has been a continuous decline in the active and new Covid-19 cases, there is a need to maintain surveillance, containment and caution, keeping in view the surge in cases globally, and emergence of a new variant of the virus in the UK. ‘Accordingly, containment zones continue to be demarcated carefully; prescribed containment measures strictly followed within these zones; Covid-appropriate behaviour promoted and strictly enforced; and the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) prescribed in respect of various permitted activities fol- 4 family members of UK returnee also test positive in Canacona CANACONA: Days after a person who returned from the UK had tested Covid positive, four family members have also tested positive in Canacona and while all of them are asymptomatic, they were shifted to the ESI Hospital in Margao on Monday. According to Canacona CHC Acting Health Officer Dr Jose Tavares, the person had arrived from the UK and was residing in Canacona municipality. “Four of the family members have also tested positive for Covid and are asymptomatic. However, as precautionary measures, they have been shifted to the ESI Hospital in Margao,” said Dr Tavares. The total Covid cases in Canacona have reached 799, while the active cases are 33 till date. Since November, 35 people had arrived from the UK and were residing in Canacona and five of them have tested positive so far. Dr Tavares said while the cases are on the decline, people should continue to wear face masks, use sanitiser and maintain social distancing. “The issue of those returning from the UK is not a matter for major concern as the situation is under control. People should not be unnecessarily worried, but must continue to practice proper care,” he added. lowed scrupulously,’ the MHA said. Meanwhile, India continues to witness a declining trend in in daily cases and deaths. The country reported 20,021 new Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours, taking the of infections to over 1.2 crore, according to the latest igures released by the Union ministry of health and welfare (MoHFW) on Monday. India’s first fully automated driverless train runs on the Magenta Line of the Delhi Metro following its launch by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in New Delhi, Monday. Modi said his government has taken growing urbanisation as an opportunity and asserted that metro train services will be extended to 25 cities by 2025 from the current 18. Covid +ve father, daughter flee from hospital THE GOAN I NETWORK MARGAO In an incident that created flutter at the Margao ESI hospital on Monday, a father-daughter duo went missing from the hospital after they left the hospital premises without the knowledge of the hospital staff and security per- sonnel. ESI hospital Medical Superintendent, Dr Vishwajit Faldesai later intimated the incident to the Margao police, even as the duo returned to the hospital after they were traced at Shiroda. Dr Faldesai said the duo, who was admitted in the ESI hospital after they had test- ed positive for coronavirus left the hospital without the knowledge of the hospital management. “I reported the incident to the Margao police since we had information that the duo were hailing from Shiroda”, he said, adding that the duo returned to the hospital in the evening. The Margao police in- formed that the police have intimated the incident to the Salcete Mamlatdar for information and further action. “The Police can register an FIR only if the Mamlatdar lodges a formal complaint”, a Margao police officer informed, adding that the police >Continued on P5 Keen to make Goa logistic Dabolim airport flying high, big surge in passengers hub for local jobs: Prabhu S THE GOAN I NETWORK THE GOAN I NETWORK VASCO Former union minister Suresh Prabhu on Monday said he was keen to make Goa a logistic hub so as to create employment opportunities without any impact on the environment. Speaking to reporters at Dabolim Airport on his arrival in the State, Prabhu said he would call on Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and also meet delegates from different sectors like fisheries, mining, tourism, etc. to address their concerns. “As former union commerce minister, I had initiated a pro- India will host the G20 summit in 2023 and we would like to hold a part of that event in Goa. I will discuss with the chief minister on that possibility as well — Suresh Prabhu cess to see the possibility of having Goa as a logistic hub because Goa needs something green which will not damage environment and at the same time, provide large scale employment opportunities.” “A logistic hub has the potential to create jobs without damage to environment. We run an NGO in the Konkan where 1 lakh women and others are self-employed and we are willing to undertake similar activity in Goa not for profit, but to create job opportunities,” said Prabhu. “India will host the G20 summit in 2023 and we would like to hold a part of that event in Goa. I will discuss with the chief minister on that possibility as well,” said Prabhu. VASCO tating that Dabolim Airport had witnessed a huge rise in passenger footfalls during the festive season in the State, Airport Director Gagan Malik on Monday said new air sectors were also getting connected with Goa. “There has been a steady rise in number of passengers and number of flights. On Sunday, we had handled around 72 flights with roughly around 11,000 passengers arriving and another 11,000 departing from Goa. We are expecting the same number of passengers on Monday as well,” Malik told reporters. “Flights will continue to increase and domestic tourists will contribute to a large chunk FESTIVE CHEER AT DABOLIM! Steady rise in number of passengers and flights On Sunday, around 72 flights came in with roughly around 11,000 passengers and another 11,000 departing from Goa Same number of passengers being expected in days to come Flights to increase and domestic tourists to contribute to a large chunk of the economy Goa also being connected to new sectors Hubballi sector is yet to be connected, new sectors like Nagpur and Jaipur are now connected New sectors to continue to be added by different airlines Air Arabia has taken slots up to March Except for UK, flights operating from the Middle East are operating There is a steady rise in number of passengers in that sector as well of the economy of the State.” “Goa is also being connected to new sectors and while the Hubballi sector is yet to be connected, we have new sectors like Nagpur and Jaipur which were never connected before. New sectors will continue to be added by different airlines,” said Malik. Commenting on the international air traffic operating under the Air Bubble initiative, the airport director said Air Arabia had taken slots up to March. “Except for UK, flights operating from the Middle East are operating and they are also picking up. There is a steady rise in number of passengers in that sector as well,” said Malik. Ever since the domestic aviation sector was reopened after being stopped for a few months amid the Covid pandemic, the frequency of flights and number of domestic passengers have steadily increased at the Dabolim Airport. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) had handled 2.94 lakh passengers at the Dabolim Airport in November, the highest since the domestic flights resumed operations in May. The airport has achieved phenomenal growth rate within the past six months. On December 6, Dabolim Airport had handled 54 arrivals and 54 departures with 6,388 arriving passengers and 7,842 departing passengers.
The new Goa, with a broader profile of people from different parts of India and the world, needs not just a strong local paper but a complete paper. The Goan on Saturday will connect to and be a viable and comprehensive read for locals, other Indians in Goa, NRI and foreigners. It will also be a bridge for Goans in other parts of India all over the world to their home land. The Goan is published by Goa's most reputed industrial houses.